Apple Pay is a fast and secure payment method that allows your clients to pay instantly without inputting their credit card details. You can now combine Maxpay’s payment processing solution with Apple Pay to provide a better payment experience for your customers.
For Hosted Payment Page and Host to Host integration the Apple Pay setup may differ. Merchants with HPP integration can either create their own certificates with Apple or use Maxpay’s certificates without the need to create them themselves. If you will be using Maxpay’s certificates, the integration process will be handled by us. If you will be using your own certificates, please refer to the steps 1-6.
For Host to Host merchants, here is a rundown of the Apple Pay integration process and setup:
- Create an Apple ID
- Join the Apple Developer Program
- Create a Merchant ID
- Create a Payments Processing Certificate
- Create a Merchant Identity Certificate
- Register and Verify Your Domain(s)
- Integrate with Xcode (optional)
- Implement Host-to-Host part
Create an Apple ID
Firstly, you will need to create an Apple ID. Apple ID is an identifier that allows working within the Apple ecosystem. Please visit this link and register an account if you don’t have an Apple ID yet.
Join the Apple Developer Program
This program allows merchants to enable Apple Pay on their applications and websites. You can join the program by visiting this page and clicking on the Account button in the top right corner. Sign in to your account with your Apple ID, then carefully read the Apple Developer Agreement and then click on the confirmation checkbox and submit.
Once logged in, click on the Join the Apple Developer Program box below. Then click on the button Enroll in the top right corner. On the next page, click on Start Your Enrollment. Fill out your enrollment form and check all of your stated information in the Summary for Review screen before submitting the form.
After the form submission, the Apple team should contact you within two weeks to finish the verification process. When the verification is passed, Apple will send a confirmation email containing the Apple Developer Program License Agreement. Accept the confirmation checkboxes and enter the billing details to complete the enrollment process. After the payment is processed, you will receive an email from Apple with the activation code. In the dedicated activation area, enter the Activation Code and click on Activate. To finish the process, click on Get Started. That's it!
Create a Merchant ID
After you’ve submitted your enrollment form, you can proceed with creating a Merchant ID.
Start by logging in to your Apple Developer account and then go to Certificates, IDs & Profiles on the left sidebar
Choose the Identifiers section and click on the plus symbol to add a new one.
Choose the Merchant IDs option and click on the Continue button.
- Enter Description and Identifier values, then click on the Continue button.
- When the values are entered, click on Register.
Create a Payments Processing Certificate
This certificate is associated with your Merchant ID and is used to secure transaction data. Before creating the certificate, please contact us at email@example.com and request a .csr file. After the file is provided, you may proceed with the certificate creation process.
In the Apple Developer Account, choose Certificates, IDs & Profiles.
- Choose the Certificates section and click on the plus symbol to add a new one.
- Choose the Apple Pay Payment Processing Certificate and click on the Continue button.
Choose your Merchant ID for the Payment Processing Certificate and click on the Continue button.
- Under the Apple Pay Payment Processing Certificate headline, click on the Create Certificate button.
Click on the Choose File link to upload the CSR file.
- In the pop-up window, choose the CSR file previously provided by the support team and click on the Continue button.
- Сlick on the Download button to get the CER file. After that, it will be necessary to convert the CER file from Apple to PEM and provide it to Maxpay's support team. Your developer will be able to help you with file conversion.
Create a Merchant Identity Certificate
A Merchant Identity certificate is a Transport Layer Security (TLS) certificate associated with your merchant ID, used to authenticate your sessions with the Apple Pay servers. Before creating the certificate, you will need to generate a new CSR file with the help of your developer.
- In the Apple Developer Account, choose Certificates, IDs & Profiles.
Choose the Certificates section and click on the plus symbol to add a new one.
Choose the Apple Pay Merchant Identity Certificate and click on the Continue button.
- Choose your Merchant ID for the Payment Processing Certificate and click on the Continue button.
Click on the Choose File link to upload the CSR file.
- In the pop-up window, choose the CSR file previously generated by your developer and click on the Continue button. Then click on the Download button to get the CER file. Please provide this file to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register and Verify Your Domain(s)
Register and verify all domains and subdomains where the Apple Pay button will be present.
Please mind that Apple has specific requirements for websites where Apple Pay will be incorporated. You can find more information on that in Apple’s documentation, along with the registration features that Apple offers.
The guide steps to registering and verifying your domain(s) are provided below:
- Sign in to the Apple Developer Account with Admin or Account Holder access and choose the Certificates, IDs & Profiles.
Choose Identifiers from the left sidebar, click on the App IDs link on the right side and choose the Merchant IDs link from the menu.
- Click on the Identifier value.
- Under the Merchant Domains headline, click on the Add Domain button
Enter the domain name and click Save.
Note! For HPP merchants that will use their Apple Pay certificates, please state the following domain: https://hpp.maxpay.com/. Then click on the Download button to save the verification file. Please provide this file to us at email@example.com. When the file will be placed, we will notify you and then you need to click on the Verify button in the Merchant Domains section where you previously registered your domain.
- Click on the Download button to save the verification file.
Apple expects to find this file in a very specific location on your domain. Create a location on your domain with this exact URL with no redirects (inserting your fully qualified domain name instead of the <…> placeholder):
https://<your fully qualified domain>/.well-known/ and place the file you downloaded there.
When the file is placed, click on the Verify button in the Merchant Domains section where you previously registered your domain.
Integrate with Xcode
If you have an app where you would like to set up Apple Pay, you will need to enable the Apple Pay capability in Xcode. Please find the instructions on how to do it here
This step can be skipped if you don't have an application, but the website only.
Note: For the PKPaymentRequest you need to pass only PKMerchantCapability3DS, request.merchantCapabilities = PKMerchantCapability3DS.
Implement Host-to-Host part
There are a few ways merchants can send the Apple Pay API requests to Maxpay. You can either send an encrypted token value or decrypt token on your own and send a decrypted token data. Please find more information on the request parameters in our documentation.
If you have any remaining questions on Apple Pay integration, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.